Monday 27 September 2010

Photographer vs Photoshoper

Bismillah ar-Rahman ar-Rahim

One of my passion since school is photography. It started in secondary school but never got it bloom because I had no camera that time, always have to "make bookings" first with my sister as we shared our parent's compact camera and back then I didn't get the exposure I'd love to have. This lovely passion came back to life during my A-Levels when I joined the photography club. That was when I started to get my hands on digital point-and-shoot cameras and single lens reflect (SLR) cameras. Boy, how I love them so much. Thank you Dr Foord for the guide you shared with me.

However, during A-Levels a lot of my friends developed the skills and knowledge of photo editing especially using Photoshop. Up to one level, I can't really tell which of their photos were original, which were edited. They claimed that the purpose of digitalisation of everything, including photography, is to make post editing more easy and convenient. True, but I don't buy that.

Until I bought a DSLR, went some photo outings with new friends who share the same interest, then only I realised that post-editing is as important as snapping the greatest photo. Thanks to 2 of my lovely friends; Syafiq and Faiz, who taught me some post-editing techniques, now I can appreciate what photoshop can do.

But I still prefer something fresh, straight out of camera rather than editing them afterwards. After all, I would like to claim myself as a photographer, not a photoshoper.

Anyway, here are some of the photos I produced after learning some basics of HDR photography. Have a look. The first photos are original and the seconds are edited into HDR photos.

Photo 1: Kensington Gardens, London, England



Photo 2: Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey



Photo 3: Shakespear's Birthplace, Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire, England.



Photo 4: Attenborough, Nottingham, England



Yup, post editing does bring some life to the original photo but I still prefer straight out of camera photos.

Ibn MuSa
Dunkirk 2010
Syawal 1431H

No comments:

Post a Comment